CONDITIONING (Maximum Intensity): Up to 8 minutes max in time. Short term, high intensity, anaerobic intervals.
- Improve motor unit recruitment (turn more muscle fibers on)
- More muscle fibers means more muscle growth
- Heavy weights create an extended EPOC (long term fat burning)
- Stimulate the Central Nervous System (CNS)
- The CNS is the boss of the entire body
- Strong CNS = strong body
My 1A Workout: Upper Body
1a: Dumbbell Bench Press, 5 sets x 6 reps
1b: Dumbbell Bent Over Row, 5 sets x 6 reps per side
2a: Dumbbell Push Press, 5 sets x 5 reps per side
2b: Body weight Chin Ups, 5 sets x 4-5 reps
(Note: Rest 60-90 seconds between each exercise. The push/pull combination allows each muscle group extra rest between activity while the other is being worked.)
Check out the two videos below displaying exactly how I do the second push/pull combination: Push Press and Chin Ups.
Check back tomorrow for Workout 1A’s conditioning component, a four minute Upper Body Tababa Interval created by Nick…it’s brutal and sure to smoke you if the effort and intensity are there!